Launching the S12 App
Published on: 31st January 2020
The S12 Solutions platform, developed by an AMHP, provides a quicker, easier and more secure way of organising Mental Health Act (MHA) assessments and submitting claim forms by commecting AMHPs with s.12 approved doctors (recognised under Section 12 of the MHA – usually a psychiatrist). This has the potential to reduce the time it takes to set-up MHA assessments and the impact on other services that support this process.
Doctors login to the platform and share their availability for assessments, location, contact details, languages and specialisms. AMHPs can then search for available, local s.12 doctors with the most appropriate experience for the service user.
The HIOW STP Mental Health Programme has been working to improve the crisis care pathway, and improving MHA assessment set up efficiency is a major part of this. Up until now, absent or inconsistent regional and national reporting has made it difficult to get a clear picture of s.12 availability. Delays can leave often distressed service users and their carers in vulnerable circumstances for a long time, and this can cause further difficulties for support services. The S12 Solutions platform aims to reduce these delays.
“This is fabulous – I’ve just submitted my first claim on here and it was so easy!”
“This is life changing!!! – sounds extreme, but it makes such a difference to our busy lives!”
“Quick and straightforward to use”
“All doctors should try it”
- S12 Doctors across Hampshire
Further anticipated benefits include:
- Quicker assessment set-up – meaning AMHPs have more time to prepare for assessment
- The police and Secure Care UK spend less time waiting with service users on s.136 and less time waiting for MHA assessments under PACE in custody
- Doctors receive less contact when they’re unavailable and get fairer access to s.12 work, which is particularly important for newly approved doctors
- Claim forms are quicker and easier for all to create, appraise and submit, and personal information is safely transported via the app, instead of by post
- All assessment and service user information is held securely within the app, instead of being shared between professionals in other less secure methods
“From a personal perspective, this has been a great piece of work to undertake, jointly with our local authorities, mental health providers and their s.12 approved clinicians. This project is a good example of true collaboration and integration. I’ve learned lots about how our local organisations all have different processes and time constraints, and closer working relationships are enabling us to continue to work to support improved pathways and outcomes for our patients.”
Sonya McLean, Crisis Care Transformation Commissioning Manager for Hampshire and Isle of Wight STP.
The S12 Solutions concept was developed by Amy Manning, an AMHP working in Bath, with help from a multi-disciplinary team. The S12 Solutions product support team is now working closely with clinical champions and users, helping them to get the best from the platform and working on new product features to support local needs